Walkers wished to understand Asian consumers crisp and savoury snacks consumption behaviour together with views about flavour extension and new product development.
A two phased, qualitative approach was applied.
Phase 1 established:
- Savoury snack consumption behaviour
- Brand recognition and trust
- Need for a new flavoured crisp
Phase 2 established:
- A strong desire amongst Asian consumers for a new chilli and lemon flavoured crisp
- Package design for the new crisp
- Marketing and communication channels and strategy
A new chilli and lemon flavoured crisp was launched. The word New and “Naya” meaning new in Hindi were placed on the package. This demonstrated to Asian consumers that the crisp was for them as well as ensuring general consumers were aware it was a new product.