Asda wished to understand the grocery shopping behaviour and ethnic food requirements of 20 different ethnic groups. They also wanted to know their media consumption patterns, in order to develop communications strategy tailored to each community.
We used a multi-method approach consisting of:
- Focus groups with the main shopper in the household
- Home visits where interviews were conducted together with a cupboard audit
- Accompanied visits to ethnic stores which were filmed to get a clear understanding of how people shop
- Interviews with ethnic store owners to identify the most frequent purchased items
- In-store observations conducted in the ethnic aisles of Asda stores. Records were made of the ethnicity of shoppers, time spent in the aisles, whether browsing or purchasing, and items purchased. Intercept interviews were also conducted with a sub sample.
Based on the findings, Asda introduced 450 new products into its stores for ethnic consumers.